Copy field values into new submission of the same form

Hello,

I have a student registration form that collects general family information and then student-specific data. I’m trying to make it easier for parents with multiple kids to complete registrations without retyping everything. At the end of the form, I would have a field asking if another child needs to be registered to trigger the process.

Multiple Children Process

1. Submit first form entry
  2. copy specific field data for the general family information into the new entry
  3. parent to enter/edit student-specific fields for 2nd child.
  4. Repeat steps 1-3 for 3rd or 4th child.
  5. If no additional child is needed, submit the form and be directed to a payment page.

Would this work Gravity Forms by itself or through a plug-in (and which one)? Can you direct me to documentation on how to do this? Or is there a better process you would recommend?

Thanks so much for your help!

This sounds like it could be a pretty good use-case for Nested Forms.

Thank you for your reply!

I hadn’t considered that plug-in…I looked at the Easy PassThrough, but it wasn’t clear that it would work in the same form.

With Nested Forms, can we export all form entries as if everyone was a single entry? We build classroom rosters from the entries so I need this process to be an easy export into Excel at the end.

Thanks again!

Hi JC, not sure if we’ve already helped you in Gravity Perks support but I wanted to confirm here for you and anyone else wondering that yes, Easy Passthrough does support populating data back into the same form. :slightly_smiling_face:

In fact, we’re writing an article right now that shows a simple way to edit an entry by populating data back into the same form via Easy Passthrough. Let me know if you’d like to be notified when it’s published.

4 Likes

Hi David, Thanks for your follow-up. I would definitely appreciate the heads up when the article is available and then I’ll make the purchase to try it out.

Take care,
Jill

Hi Jill, sorry I forgot to follow-up! Here’s the article:

1 Like