Post category field custom post type

I created a custom post type with their own categories and wanted to use create a form and have those categories as an option in my form, but when I select the post category field it is only showing categories tied to default Posts and not my custom post type. Is there a way to show my custom post type categories instead? Thanks!

Hey @mareider

I attempted to include the categories from a particular post type, but it did not work as intended. Nonetheless, you can exclude a significant number of categories by their ID. Hence, the below code will exhibit the IDs that are not blocked.

add_filter( 'gform_post_category_args', 'change_categories', 10, 2 );

function change_categories( $args, $field ) {
	// add your categories IDs (seperate by comma)
    $exclude_categories = '11,32,33';

if ( isset( $args['exclude'] ) && ! empty( $args['exclude'] ) ) {
        $args['exclude'] .= ',' . $exclude_categories;
    } else {
        $args['exclude'] = $exclude_categories;
    }

return $args;
}

Alternatively, you can restrict the display of specific categories on the dropdown list by implementing the following code.

add_filter( 'gform_post_category_args', 'allow_specific_categories', 10, 2 );

function allow_specific_categories( $args, $field ) {
    // add allowed category IDs
    $allowed_categories = array( 12, 34, 56 );

if ( isset( $args['include'] ) && is_array( $args['include'] ) ) {
        $args['include'] = array_merge( $args['include'], $allowed_categories );
    } else {
        $args['include'] = $allowed_categories;
    }

return $args;
}

Please add the provided code block in your child theme’s functions.php file or use the Code Snippet plugin.

You can follow the video tutorial here, where I have shared how the provided codes work and when you should use each code block.
:point_right: GF - Show a specific number of categories

For more details, check the gform_post_category_args from here:

Best Regards
Faisal A.

My issue isn’t too many categories, but rather the categories for my CPT aren’t showing up at all. I almost need a filter to replace the existing posts categories with my CPT taxonomies. Any ideas on that? Thanks!

First, check if the CPT taxonomy has been registered as a category or with a different name. I used the Books CPT and my taxonomy name was “Category”, which was functioning properly.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.