Trying to make a complicated form, and I'm a huge noob

Hi Gravity Forum,

I’m very new here, I’m struggling to achieve a particular outcome and I wondered if I explained the issue here someone may be able to tell me if it’s possible or if I’m barking up the wrong tree.

I want to use a form to allow my customers to submit entries to an event, the event is a dance competition where students perform as a soloist, as a pair, or as a three.

Because a payment is taken up front, when entering a pair or a three, the person completing the form enters their team mates details and pays for them. (it’s then up to them to collect what their owed from their team mate, so we’ve simplified payments on that front).

The issue I am having is that I want to make the form as simple as possible, while having the output be something that I can easily work with without having to re-type a lot of the information.

I’ll try and explain as best as possible,

Firstly they provide a name and an email address for confirmation messages/recipients.

Then, they select their solos, they can be any combination of options e.g. Tap Dance, Ballet, Jazz, Acrobatics etc - ultimately this is pretty simple, but then with pairs and threes it gets hard…

Because performers can group together in different configurations, we have 5x of every pair and 5x of every trio field, basically, they’re allowed to have up to 5 different partners. So I have more fields for:

Student A and Student B

• multi select Tap Dance, Ballet, Jazz, Acrobatics etc

Student A and Student C

Student A and Student D

Student A and Student E

Student A and Student F

Then for Trios,

Student A, Student B and Student C

Student A, Student B and Student D

Student A, Student D and Student E

Student A, Student B and Student E

Student A, Student C and Student D

• multi-select Tap Dance, Ballet, Jazz, Acrobatics etc

… this form layout isn’t too bad, it’s the best I’ve been able to make it, but conditional logic does mess up the notification fields meaning that the email I/they receive doesn’t contain all fields so I have to disable all conditional logic and just have the fields visible but skippable. i.e. If you only have Solos and Pairs, you have to skip over the Trios section instead of it not being shown.

This is where the big ask comes in, I need the data to be in rows, for each combination for every point.

For example, I will receive:

Student A

Student A and B

Student A and C

Solos: Tap Jazz Acro

Duets: Ballet and Tap

Duets: Acro

• whereas what I need to receive is:

Student A Tap
Student A Jaz
Student A Acro
Student A and B Ballet
Student A and B Tap
Student A and C Acro

I think I can find a way to give me the desired output, but it would mean the users entering the same names multiple times, and some of them can barely figure out how to put the password into a private section of our webpage, so I really want to make it as idiot proof as possible.

I hope this makes even a shred of sense to you, if you made it to the bottom thank you for reading.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.