Include PayPal transaction info in notification email

Hello all. I do work for a customer using GF to sell gift certificates using the Paypal standard add-on. At times it can be challenging for them to reconcile the payment especially if the purchaser is using a different email on the form than the one they use for Paypal. To make it easier for them I would like to include the Paypal transaction info (Transaction Id, Payment Amount, Payment Date, Payment Status) in the notification email that they receive. I don’t see a means to include this information, at least not on the standard notification edit screen. Is there a way to accomplish this?

Please see the documentation here to use merge tags in notifications that are tied to payment events (using the Payment Completed event usually)

Thanks for the info however when I add these tags to my notification email they don’t render any output. They just show the tag itself. I’ve read the documentation and search around to see if I am doing something wrong but I can’t seem to figure it out. I found a plugin that lists all the merge tags available (GravityWP - Merge Tags) which showed {payment_amount}, {payment_date}, {payment_method}, {payment_status}, {transaction_id}, and {transaction_type} as options. I tried those as well but again the email only shows the tag name itself, not the output.

First, be sure your Gravity Forms version is 2.3.6.6 or greater.

Next, be sure that your notification is sent on the Payment Completed action.

Let us know.

The version is 2.4.2 and Event is Payment Completed. Does it matter that I am testing changes to the notification by resending from an existing entry (i.e. do I need to create a new entry to test this change)? Thanks.

Yes, it will only fire that notification when the Payment is actually completed at PayPal. You’ll have to test a transaction to see if this works for you. Resent notifications won’t include that transaction information.

If you want to have this available in a resent notification, the data is available in the entry already, and you can use these merge tags:

Perfect! That’s exactly what I needed. Thank you for your help.

You’re welcome.