Entry Date Updated into Hidden Field

I am having trouble getting an entry’s update date and time into a hidden field that will then be sent to a Google Sheet via Zapier. I have tried setting a default value for the hidden field as {date_updated:raw} or just date_updated:raw or even date_updated, none of which will populate the field upon edit. Are merge tags not the appropriate way to handle this? Unfortunately, Zaps cannot see the entry meta date updated or I would map it directly from there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Stephanie. Merge tags are not the way to handle this.

You can use GFAPI::update_entry_field to populate a field with the entry’s date and time of update:

You would want to call that after the entry is updated:

Then you need to run the zap after that to get the updated date to Zapier.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Thank you, Chris. I will test this out and come back if I have any questions.

Got it working, but have a couple of questions. Here is the code:

add_action( 'gform_after_update_entry_1', 'update_date_field', 10, 2 );
function update_date_field( $form, $entry_id ) {
	$date = date_i18n( 'Y-m-d H:i:s', $local_timestamp, true );
	#$date = rgar( $entry, 'date_updated' );
	#echo '<script type="text/javascript">console.log("Entry Date Updated is " + '.json_encode($date).');</script>';
	#GFCommon::log_debug( 'gform_after_update_entry: date_updated => ' . print_r( $date, 1 ) );
	$input_id = '212';
	GFAPI::update_entry_field( $entry_id, $input_id, $date );
}
  1. I couldn’t get it working using date_updated entry property (see commented $date - always returned null). I was hoping to use the entry object property of date_updated but realize it may use the known prior date_updated rather than the current date_updated from when I submit the edit. Am I wrong here?

2. This is getting fed into a hidden field. However, the field could be edited by hand if the editor chose to when updating the entry. I know how to set a read only on a field but that would prevent the function from updating it (or would it?). How can I allow the function to update the field without also allowing manual changes when updating the entry?

Thanks again for the help!