How to change hidden field to visible with PHP code

Hello GF community,

I need to make a hidden field visible under certain circumstances (e.g. based on role of user viewing form). Can anyone enlighten me how I can change this field attribute using PHP, perhaps hung on the pre-render hook?

Thanks in advance…

DW

Hello DW,

To make a hidden field visible in a Gravity Forms form based on the role of the user viewing the form, you can indeed use PHP and hook into the form rendering process. Here’s a general approach to achieve this:

1. Identify the Field ID: First, you need to know the ID of the field you want to show or hide. This can be found in the form editor.
  2. Use the gform_pre_render Hook: This hook allows you to manipulate the form before it is displayed. You can use it to check the user’s role and modify the form accordingly.
  3. Check User Role: You’ll need to check the current user’s role. WordPress has functions like current_user_can() for such checks.
  4. Modify the Field’s Visibility: Depending on the user’s role, you can set the field to be visible or hidden.

Here’s a sample code snippet that demonstrates this process:

add_filter( 'gform_pre_render', 'conditionally_show_field' );
function conditionally_show_field( $form ) {

// Replace 10 with your form ID
    if ( $form['id'] != 10 ) {
        return $form;
    }

// Replace 3 with your field ID
    $field_id = 3;

// Check if the current user has a specific role
    if ( current_user_can( 'administrator' ) ) {
        foreach ( $form['fields'] as &$field ) {
            if ( $field->id == $field_id ) {
                $field->visibility = 'visible';
            }
        }
    }

return $form;
}

In this code:

• Replace 10 with the ID of your form.
  • Replace 3 with the ID of the field you want to show/hide.
  • The current_user_can( 'administrator' ) part checks if the user has the ‘administrator’ role. Change 'administrator' to the role you want to check for.

Add this code to your theme’s functions.php file or a custom plugin. This should make the specified field visible for users with the specified role. Remember to test this on a staging environment before applying it to a live site.

(also, remember to set the field to hidden by default or make sure to put an else clause on the role check)

Thanks Aaron, this is super-helpful! That last bit - the code to actually change the visibility - was what I was missing, and it’s much simper than I had guessed. Grazie mille!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.