Deprecation in PHP 8.2

Hi there,

Did a major upgrade on 30+ website with GF to PHP 8.2, I got the depreaction error in core plugin:

Deprecated : Using ${var} in strings is deprecated, use {$var} instead in wp-content/plugins/gravityforms/includes/fields/class-gf-field-list.php on line 167

Deprecated : Using ${var} in strings is deprecated, use {$var} instead in wp-content/plugins/gravityforms/includes/fields/class-gf-field-repeater.php on line 584

But after installing the latest version 2.8.0 today I hoped this would be solved, still getting the same error, ofcourse I can disable deprecated messages but in our development we do not disable this. So it’s very annoying…

8.0 has EOL’d … so please in the next update could you fix these issues…
Al our other prime plugins we use like ACF, YOAST, Relevanssi made the PHP 8.2 compatibility changes, so please Richard, maybe a nice Xmas gift for all GF users ??

Cheers!
Edgar

The product team has fixed a number of deprecation notices like these in recent sprints, with more planned for future sprints. The fixes will be included in upcoming updates.

It’s important to note that deprecation notices aren’t bugs, as long as the site has the display of notices disabled, the plugin and add-ons will function fine. The notices are just advanced warning for developers about changes coming in future major versions of PHP.

In october we posted these deprecation messages in another thread here in the suport forum. You replied back then with the same reply as here that they where already fixed and be part of the next release.

Today i updated to 2.8.0 and i get exactly the same errors as the ones reported in october. May i ask what was fixed back then? As they occur on the same line numbers as reported.

Deprecated: Using ${var} in strings is deprecated, use {$var} instead in /var/docs/server.tst/public/wp-content/plugins/gravityforms/includes/fields/class-gf-field-list.php on line 167

Deprecated: Using ${var} in strings is deprecated, use {$var} instead in /var/docs/server.tst/public/wp-content/plugins/gravityforms/includes/fields/class-gf-field-repeater.php on line 584

These warnings exist since php 8.2 (released december 2022) and will be fatals in php 9.0. It has nothing todo anymore with future php versions as that php version was released a year ago. We are already on php 8.3 which was release 2 weeks ago.

Thank you for your patience and time.

In october we posted these deprecation messages in another thread here in the suport forum. You replied back then with the same reply as here that they where already fixed and be part of the next release.

Actually, I did not indicate those particular notices would be fixed in the next release. Here’s my reply to your topic again:

Some PHP 8.2 deprecation notices have already been fixed in recent updates. Those that remain will be fixed in future updates.

You can find the list of fixes in the changelog. The last release to include PHP 8.2 fixes was 2.7.15:

AF: Fixed the Creation of dynamic property CLASS::$delayed_payment_integration is deprecated notice with PHP 8.2.

More PHP 8.2 deprecation notices will be fixed in upcoming updates, but we can’t give specific versions or dates for them.

1 Like