Regex verification help

Hello

Just after some help with adding regex validation to fields.
I have created some code with my formula and it works perfectly, what i wanted to know is…

If i have a 2nd field on the same form, which will use the same regex validation can i add another underscore and the field ID to gform_field_validation_23_4 ?

Can someone tell me what the 10, 4 is for after validate_customer_field ?
I could see this on the gravity form info page for validations, and on one part it was 10, 5, but i couldnt see anything to tell me what it meant.

Last of all, the code below is to work on a text field, which it works, but is there anything that should change ?

Thanks

add_filter( 'gform_field_validation_23_4', 'validate_custom_field', 10, 4 );

function validate_custom_field( $result, $value, $form, $field ) {
    $pattern = "/^(<200\/200|200\/200|<\d{1,3}(?:\.\d+)?\/\d{1,3}(?:\.\d+)?|\d{1,3}(?:\.\d+)?\/\d{1,3}(?:\.\d+)?|(HM|POL|LP))([+-])?$/";
    if ( ! preg_match( $pattern, $value ) && $value != '' ) {
        $result['is_valid'] = false;
        $result['message']  = 'Please enter a valid value';
    }

return $result;
}

Would i be right in thinking, i can just duplicate the “add_filter” line and just change the field ID for each extra field i want to use the same Regex?

The 10 is the priority the filter runs at (10 is the default), and the 4 is the number of arguments the function supports. These are WordPress conventions:

If you want to apply the same regex to another field in the same form, change the “23_4” to “23_YOUR_FIELD_ID”, like this:

// apply to field 3 in form 23
add_filter( 'gform_field_validation_23_4', 'validate_custom_field', 10, 4 );
// apply to field 17 in form 23
add_filter( 'gform_field_validation_23_17', 'validate_custom_field', 10, 4 );
function validate_custom_field( $result, $value, $form, $field ) {
    $pattern = "/^(<200\/200|200\/200|<\d{1,3}(?:\.\d+)?\/\d{1,3}(?:\.\d+)?|\d{1,3}(?:\.\d+)?\/\d{1,3}(?:\.\d+)?|(HM|POL|LP))([+-])?$/";
    if ( ! preg_match( $pattern, $value ) && $value != '' ) {
        $result['is_valid'] = false;
        $result['message']  = 'Please enter a valid value';
    }

return $result;
}

So 10 would always stay there? and the arguments in this function, are they: $result, $value, $form, $field ??

Ah great, so i just add a new “add filter” line and change the field ID each time.

Thanks you

Yes, yes and yes. The 10, 4 does not change.

Add as many new lines as you want that target different form and field IDs that call the same function. If you have any other questions, let us know.

awesome, thanks for that chris

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.