Legitimate form submissions failing honeypot check

I was testing out one of our forms and noticed that submissions were not coming through. I enabled debugging and realized that the submissions were failing the honeypot check, but I’m not sure why that is the case. Here is what my log shows:

2024-05-14 16:04:52.927649 - DEBUG --> Gravity_Forms\Gravity_Forms\Honeypot\GF_Honeypot_Handler::validate_honeypot(): Is honeypot input empty? true 
2024-05-14 16:04:52.927728 - DEBUG --> Gravity_Forms\Gravity_Forms\Honeypot\GF_Honeypot_Handler::validate_honeypot(): Is version_hash input valid? false 
2024-05-14 16:04:52.927761 - DEBUG --> Gravity_Forms\Gravity_Forms\Honeypot\GF_Honeypot_Handler::validate_honeypot(): Are both inputs valid? false 
2024-05-14 16:04:52.927793 - DEBUG --> Gravity_Forms\Gravity_Forms\Honeypot\GF_Honeypot_Handler::handle_abort_submission(): Result from Honeypot: true

The honeypot input line makes sense to me, but I’m not clear on what those other checks are doing or why they’re failing. Can anyone shed some light on this and why it may be failing for legitimate submissions?

The version_hash is added to the form submission by the form scripts. If that input is missing from the submission or contains the wrong value, the submission fails honeypot validation and is either aborted or marked as spam, depending on the form settings.

If the page where the form is embedded is cached, that can result in an outdated value being added to the version_hash.

If the page has any JavaScript errors, that can prevent the form scripts running, so the input isn’t added to the submission.

See the following page of the documentation about caching and optimization:

See the following page of the documentation for help narrowing down a theme or plugin conflict:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.