Invisible reCAPTCHA v2 vs reCAPTCHA v3 [RESOLVED]

reCAPTCHA v3 will not make v2 obsolete. Invisible v2 and v3 work very differently - v3 may not be suitable for all sites. V3 works a lot like Akismet and has some downsides, which will mean v2 will continue to be used for a long time. For example, the v3 script needs to load on all pages of the site along with the badge with the links to the privacy agreement and terms. All the form content is uploaded to Google, along with user behavior data which makes it problematic for GDPR compliance. In general, from the feedback we’ve been reading about v3, it still needs a lot of work to make it more reliable. Contact Form 7 users are having quite a lot of problems with it. That said, we are still going to include support for v3, so you can choose what’s best for your site.

5 Likes

@chrishajer, I was just about to ask for recaptcha V3. Thank you for bringing the privacy issues forward. That quickly changed my tune.

Thank you,
Adrian

I can see why you’d want both to have the option of the more GDPR friendly invisible v2. Meanwhile more and more of my clients sites are being spammed with messages getting past v2 with XEvil and similar captcha breaking technology so we either need v3 or we need other anti-spam measures.

1 Like

Understood - it is on our list of requested features and up for discussion.

Gravity Forms released a reCAPTCHA add-on on June 23:

Introducing the New Gravity Forms reCAPTCHA Add-On
(incl. support for Google reCAPTCHA v3)